Mayoral candidates respond to questions from the Alaskans for Truth
The candidates were told that their answers would be posted unedited on this website so that the voters could have an opportunity to read them for themselves without comment or recommendation.
Walt Monegan's response can be found here.
Countdown to Action
Alaskans for Truth stands on the principle that no one is above the law and when a law is violated there is a consequence. It is the duty of the legislative branch to use the powers available to them on behalf of the citizens of this state to enforce that consequence. The ethical laws that govern our state are not negotiable.
The Legislative Session begins January 20th, 2009. We have no doubt that our astute leaders have the talent, skill and staff support to craft legislation, balance the budget and to also enforce the ethics legislation already in place in order to make any forthcoming laws worthwhile. We have learned that public pressure makes a difference because it represents the collective "will of the people" and therefore gets our leaders attention. While we've reported on several who have reacted less-favorably, we also know that many of our legislators welcome that important participation and direction from their constituents. Read through this Call to Action and choose something you feel strongly about. It could be one, or more than one of the issues listed. Use it as a template when crafting your letters, emails and phone calls. Because emails can be easily deleted, we encourage you to call, write letters and send emails not only to your representatives but also to the Chair of the Senate, the House, the Judiciary Committee and the Legislative Council. Also, letters to the editor are a very powerful, important tool especially to the papers listed below that ran our ads. Each link takes you to the page of the individual legislator for easy access to all contact information.
In Alaska's 50th year of statehood, let's honor our constitution in the opening days of the session by helping our elected leaders show Alaskans that they really do care about ethics--that they really can collectively stand on the principles of justice.
We ask all Alaskans to join us in this final push for Truth.
Call to Action
· Censure Governor Sarah Palin who, the Branchflower Report found to have "abused her power by violating Alaska Statute 39.52.110(a) of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act" which provides “The legislature reaffirms that each public officer holds office as a public trust, and any effort to benefit a personal or financial interest through official action is a violation of that trust.
· Seek contempt charges against the Governor’s husband, Todd Palin and the state officials who willingly ignored the Legislative Council's subpoenas during the investigation.
· Hold hearings on whether Gov. Palin and her husband, committed perjury in their sworn statements to Timothy Petumenos, in his function as independent counsel to the Alaska State Personnel Board. (link to Feldman letter)
· Call for an independent investigation to determine if Alaska Attorney General Talis Colberg or others engaged in criminal witness tampering in advance of the Branchflower investigation.
Alaskans for Truth is issuing a Call to Action for all concerned citizens to contact the Alaska State Legislature and insist that their elected representatives uphold their fiduciary responsibility and take action now as they prepare for the upcoming legislative session in January.
(Contact your Legislators via the email list below).
*Link to Legislative Council Investigation Findings Titled, "Report of the Investigation of the Circumstances Surrounding the Termination of Former Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan and Potential Abuses of Power and/or Improper Actions by Members of Governor Sarah Palin’s Administration, October 10, 2008."
Legislators email list:
Senator Johnny Ellis Contact Info
Senator Gene Therriault Contact Info
Senator Bettye Davis Contact Info
Senator Fred Dyson Contact Info
Senator Kim Elton Contact Info
Senator Hollis French Contact Info
Senator Lyman Hoffman Contact Info
Senator Charlie Huggins Contact Info
Senator Albert Kookesh Contact Info
Senator Lesil McGuire Contact Info
Senator Donny Olson Contact Info
Senator Bert Stedman Contact Info
Senator Gary Stevens Contact Info
Senator Joe Thomas Contact Info
Senator Thomas Wagoner Contact Info
Senator Bill Wielechowski Contact Info
Rep Bob Buch Contact Info
Rep Mike Chenault Contact Info
Rep Sharon Cissna Contact Info
Rep John Coghill Contact Info
Rep Harry Crawford Contact Info
Rep Nancy Dahlstrom Contact Info
Rep Mike Doogan Contact Info
Rep Bryce Edgmon Contact Info
Rep Anna Fairclough Contact Info
Rep Richard Foster Contact Info
Rep Les Gara Contact Info
Rep Berta Gardner Contact Info
Rep Carl Gatto Contact Info
Rep Max Gruenberg Contact Info
Rep David Guttenberg Contact Info
Rep John Harris Contact Info
Rep Mike Hawker Contact Info
Rep Lindsey Holmes Contact Info
Rep Kyle Johansen Contact Info
Rep Craig Johnson Contact Info
Rep Reggie Joule Contact Info
Rep Scott Kawasaki Contact Info
Rep Wes Keller Contact Info
Rep Mike Kelly Contact Info
Rep Beth Kerttula Contact Info
Rep Bob Lynn Contact Info
Rep Kevin Meyer Contact Info
Rep Mark Neuman Contact Info
Rep Kurt Olson Contact Info
Rep Jay Ramras Contact Info
Rep Woodie Salmon Contact Info
Rep Bill Stoltze Contact Info
Rep Bill Thomas Contact Info
Rep Peggy Wilson Contact Info
Legislators respond to our Call to Action. Click on their name to read the response.
State Sen. John Cowdery pleaded guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to bribery and extortion(Link to article)
See additional stories in the "Articles of Interest" to the right.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Countdown to Truth: 4 more days!
The Branchflower Report on the independent “Troopergate” investigation is still due to the Legislative Council on October 10, and members of the Legislative Council are still under incredible pressure by the McCain Campaign to VOTE AGAINST releasing the report to the public.
However, you have let your voiced be heard! Thank you! You did a wonderful job of getting the message to the Council that they must accept this report for the good of all Alaskans as well as the ENTIRE voting populace in the U.S. You did such a good job that Representative David Guttenberg and Kim Elton were sending messages back letting folks know they would vote to release the report!
We need your help more than ever!
As many of you know, we’ve had additional McCain Campaign-influenced legal wrangling:
- They have tried using two lawsuits as attempt to delay or quash this all-important report. However, they were unsuccessful!!! Thursday, the court under Judge Peter Michalski dismissed both suits as un-Constitutional! This establishes that the Investigation has always been legal and the Legislative Council has the authority to issue lawful subpoenas. The out-of-state law group leading the charge (affiliated with extreme-religious-right leader Rev. James Dobson) decided, in another delaying tactic, to ask for an emergency appeal to the Alaska Supreme Court, which was granted.
- Attorney General Talis Colberg announced Sunday that, due to the court ruling, the seven state employees who previously and illegally ignored their subpoenas (at his suggestion) would now be willing to testify!
- Also, Todd Palin is now willing to respond, in writing, to written questions from Investigator Branchflower (which he’s already sent to Palin).
Can you imagine a gang of thieves robbing a grocery store, then calling the owners and law enforcement to schedule a time to return the items? Additionally, these criminals expect no consequences and even a pat on the back for finally deciding to follow the law!!!!
THESE ARE DELAYING/DISTRACTING TACTICS!!! We have no reason to believe that the Supreme Court will do what would be the equivalent of throwing the Alaska Constitution into the dumpster by reversing the decision of the lower court! Nor should seven people who pretend to develop a conscience keep Steven Branchflower from releasing his report on time!!!!
Help us keep the focus where it belongs! TAKE ACTION!
- Continue to call and/or email all 14 members of the State Legislative Council each day! (contact information listed below)
- Respectfully urge the legislators to stand up for truth and vote YES to accept Branchflower’s report and make it available to the people!
- Alaskans, call and email the legislators from your districts. Send the message that you expect them to support the Legislative Council’s investigation and reject the McCain campaign’s attempt to stonewall the democratic process!
Members of the Legislative Council (Alaska’s area code is 907)
Kim Elton (D) Senator_Kim_Elton@legis.state.ak.us
Bettye Davis (D) Senator_Bettye_Davis@legis.state.ak.us
Lyda Green (R) Senator_Lyda_Green@legis.state.ak.us
Lyman Hoffman (D) Senator_Lyman_Hoffman@legis.state.ak.us
Gary Stevens (R) Senator_Gary_Stevens@legis.state.ak.us
Gary Wilken (R) Senator_Gary_Wilken@legis.state.ak.us
John Cowdery (R) Senator_John_Cowdery@legis.state.ak.us
John Coghill (R) Rep_John_Coghill@legis.state.ak.us
Nancy Dahlstrom (R) Rep_Nancy_Dahlstrom@legis.state.ak.us
David Guttenberg (D) Rep_David_Guttenberg@legis.state.ak.us
John Harris (R) Rep_John_Harris@legis.state.ak.us
Ralph Samuels (R) Rep_Ralph_Samuels@legis.state.ak.us
Bill Stoltze (R) Rep_Bill_Stoltze@legis.state.ak.us
Peggy Wilson (R) Rep_Peggy_Wilson@legis.state.ak.us